Capitol Federal® proudly celebrates more than 120 years of service to our customers and our communities. Throughout its history, the Bank has remained steadfast in its commitment to the American dream of home ownership. We thank our many generations of customers for their loyalty and rededicate ourselves to the ideals of the Bank's Corporate Philosophy of Safety in Savings, Sound Lending Policies, and Quality Customer Service. Customer trust in the strength of Capitol Federal has led us into a new century, and we look forward to a partnership with our customers in the development of our communities and in meeting the challenges our new century will bestow.
- John B. Dicus, Chairman
September 16, 1893
Fifteen men gathered for the first time to form a savings and loan.
The Association changed its name to the Capitol Building and Loan Association.
1900 – 1939
Henry A. Bubb was hired.
Capitol Building and Loan Association changed its name to Capitol Federal Savings and Loan Association.
In difficult times, the Association stood at $6 million, half of what it had been prior to the Crash of 1929. Although these were challenging times, the Association came out stronger, leading to an era of success.
1940 – 1949
Capitol Federal Board of Directors named Henry A. Bubb as President of the Association.
The Association was now “the largest federally insured association in the state.”
1950 – 1959
Assets grew to more than $19.5 million; and the first branch office in Kansas was opened at 1201 Topeka Boulevard in Topeka.
Assets reached $100 million.
John C. Dicus joined the Association
1960 – 1979
Capitol Federal installed its first "computer" - a Univac "tab" machine - in the Home Office at 6th and Kansas in Topeka.
December 9, 1961
Capitol Federal's new Home Office opened at 700 South Kansas Avenue in Topeka on December 9, 1961. The office reflected the times with the inclusion of a Civil Defense bomb shelter in the basement.
CapFed took the lead in technological advances with the installation of an online data processing system.
The Association introduced the Passcard.
Association became second savings and loan association in the nation to offer customers off-premise access to their accounts.
Capitol Federal reached $1 billion in assets.
Capitol Federal weathered one of the most difficult periods in the history of financial institutions.
Chairman Henry A. Bubb died in January 1989. John C. Dicus was then named Chairman.
Capitol Federal reaches its 100th anniversary, with assets of more than $3.9 billion.
John B. Dicus was elected President, with John C. Dicus continuing as Chairman and CEO
March 31, 1999
Capitol Federal's Plan of Reorganization and Stock Issuance Plan is successfully completed, transforming Capitol Federal from a mutual savings association to a stock savings bank. Capitol Federal Savings and Loan Association now known as Capitol Federal Savings Bank. The Capitol Federal® Foundation was established, as part of the reorganization.
Introduction of True Blue Online®
John C. Dicus honored for 50 years of service to Capitol Federal. Due to the board's mandatory retirement age, John C. Dicus retired as Chairman from the board, continuing as Chairman Emeritus. John B. Dicus was elected Chairman of the board, now serving as Chairman, President and CEO.
The year 2010 was highlighted by the second-step conversion from a mutual holding company form of organization to a stock form of organization, completed in December 2010. At that time, Capitol Federal® Financial was succeeded by Capitol Federal® Financial, Inc.
For a more detailed look at our more than 120 years of True Blue® tradition, download our printable version. (.pdf)